Greetings and welcome to Building Community Capacity! I’m Joanna Grace Farmer and will be your guide as we explore strategies that “increase access to information and resources that strengthen and empower children, families, and communities.”
Our vision is a world where all children can grow up knowing they can reach their highest potential. We want children to know they are loved beyond measure. To believe they are geniuses. To be confident and secure, trusting that they can succeed despite any obstacles, barriers, or limitations placed in their way. We want them to count on caring adults who will help them navigate their journey to success.
At Building Community Capacity:
- We put people first by listening closely to their hopes and responding from a place of love and respect. We’re increasing social capital by building strong and sustainable relationships with individuals, families, and communities.
- We understand that “success is our only option” and use positive images, fact-based content, and adaptive learning models to achieve our goals.
- We believe in possibilities and use sheroes and heroes from our ancestral legacy to illustrate determination, commitment, and perseverance that can inspire and motivate us to also achieve excellence.
- We embrace diversity and welcome opportunities to share ideas, strategies, and action plans that will create a shared understanding of our humanity.
- We share information and resources that empower children, families, and communities to discover possibilities and take advantage of opportunities so they can reach their highest potential.
- We collaborate and leverage resources with changemakers in ways that create synergy and help us move forward by focusing on collective well-being.
- We celebrate success and recognize achievements by honoring those who’ve conquered adversity, and generously serve as role models, mentors, and coaches to help others successfully navigate the journey to achieve their heart’s desires.
We’ll begin our discussion with a focus on children because their health and happiness has a positive impact on families and communities and increases collective well-being. Let’s get started…
Reflection: As a new mother, I looked at my son Jonathan with eyes of love, but also amazement, in wonder at what this special child had in store for me. I was excited about the possibilities because I instantly recognized his God-given genius. He knew too and immediately began using baby talk, cooing affectionately, expressing his desire to get started on his journey called life. I’m an older and wiser mother now, having raised Jonathan up in the way he should go, and I’m still amazed. I’ve witnessed opportunities he’s taken advantage of and achievements he’s made as he moves forward, striving to reach his highest potential. As a forever mother, I’m excited about the possibilities in store for him. He’s an adult now but will always be the apple of my eye, and I’m blessed by the unique relationship we have on this journey called life. ~Joanna
Joanna Grace Farmer (c) All Rights Reserved